“I’ve got them, I’ve got them,” I shouted excitedly as I opened the flat door and almost tripped over Chasca, our border collie. Her cuddles always took precedence, she was still a puppy and we were all so much in love. She followed me to the bedroom where I dropped my bag on the floor and fell onto the bed under an assault of licking and mad tail/bum wagging.  Hers not mine, I hasten to add.

“Come on then,” Tony called from the kitchen where he had started preparing dinner.

I wandered through with Chasca running round and round my legs excitedly. One hand in the air I waved the tickets I had picked up from the Keith Prowse office in the hotel that day.  “I’ve got them.”

“Yes I got that, but got what? Not crabs again?” Tony joked holding out a spoon for me to taste his efforts.

“Don’t think I’ve ever had crabs,” I retorted. “Mmmm, that’s nice. Stew: perfect for this bloody cold. It’s freezing out there.”

“I know I left the heating on when I came home at lunchtime so she didn’t get too cold,” He nodded at Chasca. As she was new to the family Tony popped home every lunchtime to check on her, so that she didn’t get too lonely, or into too much trouble. We were already missing a few socks and had several items with teeth marks on them.

“Good idea. FGTH,” I told him.

“What?” Tony looked non-plussed. My sudden switch of subject had confused him. Over the years we got used to each other’s conversation switches and rarely were confused with each other’s muddled thinking.  These were still early days.

“Frankie Goes…” I began.

“Concert tickets?” Tony finished. “That’s great, put them somewhere safe out of madam’s reach.”

Over dinner, among other things, we made plans for the upcoming concert. We decided that I would take my change of clothes to work (jeans, t-shirt, check.shirt, leather jacket, Boots and gloves) while Tony would rush home, feed the pooch and meet me in town.  We both had a thing for one of the band members and were looking forward to the concert, even though it meant schlepping all the way to Wembley, which was completely the other side of town .

The cold weather continued through the following days, and I was glad we were going to be wrapped up (dragged up?) well as the day of the concert arrived.

Looking out the office window towards the end of the day I noticed it had started snowing. Normally I would have loved that, but didn’t want London transport to be fouled up because of it. We didn’t want to miss the concert because of delayed trains or tubes.

Just before the time came to leave work the phone on my desk rang. “What do you think?” Tony asked without preamble.

“Probably the same as you.” I replied.

“You sure?” he asked down the phone line.

“Yes. Definitely. We can’t go and leave her all alone in this cold. If traffic gets really snarled up we could be back really late and she’d be freezing. I’m going to come home.”  I told him.

“Disappointed?” he asked knowing the answer.

“Of course, but not enough to not put Chazzy first.”

That was how we came to miss a music concert we both were really looking forward to, but our baby had to come first. She always did. They always do.




Leave a comment

Filed under Contemporary

Let me know what you think.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s